Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dreams/Nightmares

Last night I had a dream that I was in a big hotel or convention center that was going to have some sort of large event the next day. They needed help and were hiring, but they didn't really know how many people they needed. So, they brought a bunch of us in and were training us just in case. The training consisted of (literally) running through the hotel for a tour - I was going as fast as I could to keep up and kept losing sight of the people in front of me in line and the tour guide. Then when I finally caught up, they were showing everyone how to carry plates of food. They handed me three plates to balance on my arm and then kept piling more and more on...plus cutlery and napkins and I was worried I was going to drop everything but also intent on holding onto it all so I would get hired for the event the next day.

Okay, any guesses what I'm worrying about after 2 weeks of school? Is this dream transparent, or what? You guessed it, the work load in this accelerated program is crazy to say the least. We have 16 hours of class a week, hundreds of pages of texts to read, plus lab skills practice. And oh, by the way, in your free time, don't forget to do the independent math class, the OSHA/HIPPA exam, and the Cultural Competency self-guided study. Still not enough? Well here's some recorded lectures to listen to from the day of class you all missed on MLK day. Argh - I was literally in tears on Friday, overwhelmed by the sense that there was no human way possible to get it all done. But, I'm getting really good at skimming the reading, prioritizing, and just taking one step at a time. And they promise us that after the first 10 weeks are over, things will get better. I hope so because I don't know how long I can keep juggling all these plates of food!

No comments: